• Announcements

• Erebus

Dark and Light 4/9 Update - Patch Notes   04/10/2018

Greetings Adventurers! On Tuesday, 4/10, a patch with our first round of bug fixes and optimizations will be released ~2AM PST. Be sure to check out all of all of the changes made to Dark and Light in the full patch notes below!
        Game Updates Optimized loading screen The loading bar will no longer be hidden when loading is stuck. We felt that optimization updates should also be included in the month of bug fixes/balance updates, and is something that we’re focused on going forward. Removed knowledge restriction on all spells and staffheads.  Adventurers no longer have to know a spell in order to use it. The only two exceptions to this rule are Telekinesis and Firestorm. Those are for Master Wizards only. Description text has been added to all harvestable resources to allow easy recognition. Optimized the visual effects for Rune of Restoration, Rune of Warmth, and Rune of Radiance. Bug Fixes Fixed a bug where Small Soul Suppression Stones were not working on Ice and Fire Imps. Fixed a bug where items placed in the three PvE experience workbenches would disappear after activation. Fixed a bug where the Qinaryss Gustclaw’s body would glitch on death. Fixed a bug where items in player customized inventory folders would disappear upon death. Fixed a issue where players were unable to dance at Bonfires. Fixed a bug where players would run into a collision issue at the entrance of Blackice Peaks cause their Adventurer to float.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
luckypunkgr

9 months later what is the future of this game

15 posts in this topic

Hello

Its been almost 9 months since the EA release and the some of us have been here from the beginning.

I ve been on purpose away from these forums for some time, but its time for some serious asnwers.

Where is the dev kit at the end of April?
Is it true that many official servers will be closed?
Is it true that we will never have a new map in the game?

What is the future of this game. 
New map? New tames? Server transfer like Ark?

What and when? This year, next year? When?
Or it was just some easy money to make Pixark and the games that are coming in the future from Snail. Because from the reviews in steam this game is burned, totally burned.

I think all the remaining players in this game (getting fewer every day) need some serious answers, and not half words.

Thanks a lot

1 person likes this

I know you not asking me this question and I hope the Snail Team answers this thread topic Question. But I believe the game is on the come up! If we can get more Streamers active in playing this game on a daily basis I believe this it can set in the core group of players that can push this game to the forefront. But one main thing this game can't do is become an Ark game. They have to take a different approach and I am thinking more along the lines of adventure treasure hunting and discovery concept that leads us to new maps.  

11 hours ago, luckypunkgr said:

Hello

Its been almost 9 months since the EA release and the some of us have been here from the beginning.

I ve been on purpose away from these forums for some time, but its time for some serious asnwers.

Or it was just some easy money to make Pixark and the games that are coming in the future from Snail. Because from the reviews in steam this game is burned, totally burned.

I think all the remaining players in this game (getting fewer every day) need some serious answers, and not half words.

Thanks a lot

There are some of your question that I can answer now, and others that I don't currently have the info on. I've personally seen the dev kit and it is on the way. We had planned to release at the end of April, but the kit still needs a little more work and I believe it's now planned for early May. As soon as I get a 100% solid date, I'll let everyone know. We have some big news coming in the next few months, and if I could share more on this I would. Just know we are still very much supporting Dark and Light, and we appreciate everyone that has been with us since the start.

6 people like this

Erebus we have done 9 months of waiting and every time anyone asks about details because the game is basically dead you guys say we have some big new coming.There is nothing but more pain coming for the dedicated players.

12 hours ago, BioVibe666 said:

Erebus we have done 9 months of waiting and every time anyone asks about details because the game is basically dead you guys say we have some big new coming.There is nothing but more pain coming for the dedicated players.

Who are you for real 😳 sound like an undercover hater! 🐌 Team is doing what most of the community has been asking for and that is bug fixes and improving the core of the game. But looks like you trying to instigate the community to talk bad about them in order to stop the player flow. Who were you before you change the name and avatar.

Sound like a Troll Wood 🐛 to me you like to use misdirection tactics don’t you!?

Posted (edited)

On 4/26/2018 at 11:10 PM, luckypunkgr said:

Hello

Thanks a lot

Been a good 2 months since i quit. A solid month since i even logged into game to refresh my tames/base. Fairly sure its all gone and definitely not gonna bother checking.

As for me popping in randomly i was gonna do a post saying hi to everyone and that i miss them but i think a reply here will sustain my need to post anymore.

So 9 months from now eh? Well first i suggest checking out Steam Charts for Dark and Light. If we look at this and view the % Gain of players we can see a steady decline in the playerbase. Each month the % lessens. So lets do a little math and guess work. We'll use 9 months starting from now till then. 

This month 6.01%,

2nd 5.7 

3rd 5.3%   

4th 4.5% 

5th 3.7%

6th 3.0%

7th 2.5%

8th 2%

9th 1.1%

Around a 35%-45% drop in playerbase assuming its a steady decline and the die hard fans stay.

Obviously this is just guess work but with the current trends u can see it isn't going up soon. If you look at March, a huge % dropped due to other games such as Far Cry 5, Sea of Thieves, God of War. With every single big AAA release players are pulled away the %'s that i mentioned above could be grossly underestimated. Not gonna argue if i'm right or wrong on this but common sense tells me im more correct than anything.

So to answer your questions just using my basic knowledge of games and with no confirmed information.

Dev kit you asked about, to be frank you need to look at historically large patches pushed by the Developers. Almost always at least one month behind. So end of april should automatically mean end of may/start of june. EDIT: Saw that Erebus Replied after i posted. Glad to know they aren't a month behind like normal and only a week or 2.

I haven't kept up to date with the game itself but i do read the unofficial discord and there are definitely rumors of some official servers being shut down. I wouldn't expect a community manager response about this but i'm a gambling man and with only 500 avg players and god knows how many servers it wouldn't suprise me if they cut half of them, since half aren't even played on.

Your question about never have a new map is a bit odd. Right before i quit, i was told about a dev working on the new map and to expect great things. To be frank, if they ditch the new map then this game is 100% dead as a rock and will slowly grind to a halt.

So to get back to a direct answer. The future of this game is going to rely heavily on a new map. I used to beleive that server transfers, and the dev kit might save the game, but If you look at Ark a very similar survival game. The Server transfers came out and there was no change to player base at all. Dev Kit was released and there was no different in playerbase. Both those instances failed to bring back players and in the transfers month they actually lost a % if i recall correctly and gained players with the dev kit, but it wasn't a gain they hadnt seen in any previous months before. The only "spikes" in player count were when new expansions and maps. The Center saw a huge spike. Scorched earth had a good one. Didn't check ragnarok/abberation. So if DnL even wants to have a "future" it will need an expansion soon and well before the 9 months.

Some may say comparing ark doesn't matter, but it does immensely. Obviously they aren't the same game, but Ark is the #1 sandbox survival with a huge fluctuation of players, not using that data to compare would just make someone ignorant.

My apologies for my long windedness. It was nice to see a lot of familiar usernames still posting on the forums. Although i loved this game i suggest anyone still playing it to cash out sooner rather than later or you'll regret wasting your time even more.

As Always!

Cheers!

Freecell

Edited by iFreecell

What made u quit the game Ifrecell,   if u dont mind me asking?      

3 hours ago, iFreecell said:

Been a good 2 months since i quit. A solid month since i even logged into game to refresh my tames/base. Fairly sure its all gone and definitely not gonna bother checking.

As for me popping in randomly i was gonna do a post saying hi to everyone and that i miss them but i think a reply here will sustain my need to post anymore.

So 9 months from now eh? Well first i suggest checking out Steam Charts for Dark and Light. If we look at this and view the % Gain of players we can see a steady decline in the playerbase. Each month the % lessens. So lets do a little math and guess work. We'll use 9 months starting from now till then. 

This month 6.01%,

2nd 5.7 

3rd 5.3%   

4th 4.5% 

5th 3.7%

6th 3.0%

7th 2.5%

8th 2%

9th 1.1%

Around a 35%-45% drop in playerbase assuming its a steady decline and the die hard fans stay.

Obviously this is just guess work but with the current trends u can see it isn't going up soon. If you look at March, a huge % dropped due to other games such as Far Cry 5, Sea of Thieves, God of War. With every single big AAA release players are pulled away the %'s that i mentioned above could be grossly underestimated. Not gonna argue if i'm right or wrong on this but common sense tells me im more correct than anything.

So to answer your questions just using my basic knowledge of games and with no confirmed information.

Dev kit you asked about, to be frank you need to look at historically large patches pushed by the Developers. Almost always at least one month behind. So end of april should automatically mean end of may/start of june. EDIT: Saw that Erebus Replied after i posted. Glad to know they aren't a month behind like normal and only a week or 2.

I haven't kept up to date with the game itself but i do read the unofficial discord and there are definitely rumors of some official servers being shut down. I wouldn't expect a community manager response about this but i'm a gambling man and with only 500 avg players and god knows how many servers it wouldn't suprise me if they cut half of them, since half aren't even played on.

Your question about never have a new map is a bit odd. Right before i quit, i was told about a dev working on the new map and to expect great things. To be frank, if they ditch the new map then this game is 100% dead as a rock and will slowly grind to a halt.

So to get back to a direct answer. The future of this game is going to rely heavily on a new map. I used to beleive that server transfers, and the dev kit might save the game, but If you look at Ark a very similar survival game. The Server transfers came out and there was no change to player base at all. Dev Kit was released and there was no different in playerbase. Both those instances failed to bring back players and in the transfers month they actually lost a % if i recall correctly and gained players with the dev kit, but it wasn't a gain they hadnt seen in any previous months before. The only "spikes" in player count were when new expansions and maps. The Center saw a huge spike. Scorched earth had a good one. Didn't check ragnarok/abberation. So if DnL even wants to have a "future" it will need an expansion soon and well before the 9 months.

Some may say comparing ark doesn't matter, but it does immensely. Obviously they aren't the same game, but Ark is the #1 sandbox survival with a huge fluctuation of players, not using that data to compare would just make someone ignorant.

My apologies for my long windedness. It was nice to see a lot of familiar usernames still posting on the forums. Although i loved this game i suggest anyone still playing it to cash out sooner rather than later or you'll regret wasting your time even more.

As Always!

Cheers!

Freecell

I want to know why you left the game also before I comment on what you said?

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, Jiggy said:

What made u quit the game Ifrecell,   if u dont mind me asking?      

4 hours ago, RainGnyu said:

I want to know why you left the game also before I comment on what you said?

Lack of options and other big AAA game releases that looked more promising in the long run. I tried to stick with it but in the end just sorta did like a "cost comparison" on my invested game time vs other things i could spend time on. If i could have xfer'd to join others even just my character i might still be around but lack of options restricted me fairly hard in game. Also Sea of Thieves released also started Fortnite PVE, i expected to just take a break from DnL but the longer i didn't touch it the more i really wanted to get rid of the proverbial leech(loading strucutre/feeding tames etc) i had on myself.

Edited by iFreecell

22 hours ago, iFreecell said:

Lack of options and other big AAA game releases that looked more promising in the long run. I tried to stick with it but in the end just sorta did like a "cost comparison" on my invested game time vs other things i could spend time on. If i could have xfer'd to join others even just my character i might still be around but lack of options restricted me fairly hard in game. Also Sea of Thieves released also started Fortnite PVE, i expected to just take a break from DnL but the longer i didn't touch it the more i really wanted to get rid of the proverbial leech(loading strucutre/feeding tames etc) i had on myself.

What I noticed in your two posts on why you believe the game won't survive and why you left the game is really based on your personal preference. With that said, would you place yourself back in the grind if the Snail team put out a new map for you to explore? I strongly believe you would because you may not have noticed, that what you are seeking is the discovery and adventure of what you don't know and to become the first to discover it. I also believe this is the most important thing the snail team needs to take their time perfecting. With and balanced approach, of making the discovery difficult and the adventure extremely satisfying! But I also notice that you want others that play Dark and Light to follow you to these new games you have listed because you are alone in your adventure and enjoy the company you obtain playing Dark and Light. But you noticed that others don't feel as you do, so you come with your research and Steam chart stats to convenience those that they are wasting their time in the illusion of a sinking ship. Now you want to come back but hate to start over, and you don't want to put in all the time you use to, but miss the community.

Posted (edited)

What I noticed in your two posts on why you believe the game won't survive and why you left the game is really based on your personal preference. With that said, would you place yourself back in the grind if the Snail team put out a new map for you to explore? I strongly believe you would because you may not have noticed, that what you are seeking is the discovery and adventure of what you don't know and to become the first to discover it. I also believe this is the most important thing the snail team needs to take their time perfecting. With and balanced approach, of making the discovery difficult and the adventure extremely satisfying! 

huh? i came back to these forums to make a post to say hello to everyone and that i hope they are doing well. I wouldn't call what im saying "personal preference" but personal opinion. A new map is exactly as you mentioned very needed to bring back NEW players. As for myself, nah a new map wouldn't bring me back i've resigned myself from this game and a few others. If i wanted to play a survival game Ark would b'e the only logical option.

! But I also notice that you want others that play Dark and Light to follow you to these new games you have listed because you are alone in your adventure and enjoy the company you obtain playing Dark and Light. But you noticed that others don't feel as you do, so you come with your research and Steam chart stats to convenience those that they are wasting their time in the illusion of a sinking ship. Now you want to come back but hate to start over, and you don't want to put in all the time you use to, but miss the community.

So let me set the record straight, all the steam chart research i referenced was done in like february right before i decided to quit. I only mention it now because its relevant but if i had gotten information as i was posting i would have included dates, examples and been a bit more thorough but alas nope. As for the new games i have listed and my "need" for people sea of thieves is isn't a solo game, and the last place i'd come is here for players, i just used it as an example. No offense meant but i wouldn't play SoT with anyone from the forum except maybe 1 guy. The only game i've ever had to play alone is Dark and Light, it had the highest and fastest attrition rate of any game i have ever played with my friends and thats saying something since i've been gaming with around 20 of my friends for over 4-5 years and some for over a year. We don't always play the same game but when we do its usually longer than a month lol. I started with around 30 members in DnL, first month it went down to 5. Next month 3 and then just me. Some came back for 1 day to try it out but never stayed for more.

You can call my post hating, i think its relatively neutral in the grand scheme of things. Here i'll put it in TLDR Terms: With each AAA or hyped Game release DnL will lose players, and players who had previously played DnL will put the game farther down there list of "i should come back to sometime" if a new map doesn't come out soon, dev kit and transfers will not be enough.

you took this is a personal assault and decided to berate me by saying i need friends or playmates. This right here alone proves why the community is shit. I don't miss the community and i guess me saying it earlier was wrongly worded. I miss certain individuals that made the community better without toxicity.

see ya in another few months when i decide to check the forum out of boredom!

Edited by iFreecell

Since we are wondering about the state of the game, nine months in, I have a few concerns.

I feel as though I have guided and trained a 100 players, although I'm sure it's far fewer.  In the end, they quit on me. 

1. They are bored, too much grinding. 
  2. It's too complicated, not enough in game information and those tiny icons give you eye strain and frustration when trying to read a blue print/schematic/recipe.  
  3. All you do is level up.  They want to explore.  Have adventures and discover treasures.  Waiting until level 45 to do the ice cave is much too long.  That can be weeks into the game if you're not a full time player.
  4.  It's too much like ARK.  Why play a version of another game with all these bugs?
  5. There's not enough incentive to work together, yet the ice, fire, and wind caves were designed for groups.

If the game is going to attract and keep new players, these issues need to be addressed.  I don't find it boring or too complicated, but this is what I hear from player after player.  Are the devs planning to address these issues?  Do they even see them as problems with the game?  I haven't said anything until now because there have been so many other things to work on.  But with the upcoming release of a Dev Kit, a new surge in game play should be anticipated.  That surge will be short lived if the above is not also addressed.

On 5/13/2018 at 4:44 PM, iFreecell said:

huh? i came back to these forums to make a post to say hello to everyone and that i hope they are doing well. I wouldn't call what im saying "personal preference" but personal opinion. A new map is exactly as you mentioned very needed to bring back NEW players. As for myself, nah a new map wouldn't bring me back i've resigned myself from this game and a few others. If i wanted to play a survival game Ark would b'e the only logical option.

So let me set the record straight, all the steam chart research i referenced was done in like february right before i decided to quit. I only mention it now because its relevant but if i had gotten information as i was posting i would have included dates, examples and been a bit more thorough but alas nope. As for the new games i have listed and my "need" for people sea of thieves is isn't a solo game, and the last place i'd come is here for players, i just used it as an example. No offense meant but i wouldn't play SoT with anyone from the forum except maybe 1 guy. The only game i've ever had to play alone is Dark and Light, it had the highest and fastest attrition rate of any game i have ever played with my friends and thats saying something since i've been gaming with around 20 of my friends for over 4-5 years and some for over a year. We don't always play the same game but when we do its usually longer than a month lol. I started with around 30 members in DnL, first month it went down to 5. Next month 3 and then just me. Some came back for 1 day to try it out but never stayed for more.

You can call my post hating, i think its relatively neutral in the grand scheme of things. Here i'll put it in TLDR Terms: With each AAA or hyped Game release DnL will lose players, and players who had previously played DnL will put the game farther down there list of "i should come back to sometime" if a new map doesn't come out soon, dev kit and transfers will not be enough.

you took this is a personal assault and decided to berate me by saying i need friends or playmates. This right here alone proves why the community is shit. I don't miss the community and i guess me saying it earlier was wrongly worded. I miss certain individuals that made the community better without toxicity.

see ya in another few months when i decide to check the forum out of boredom!

Sound like what you are saying is that your post has no purpose other than saying hello? If so, why didn’t you just make a hello thread of your own? If this game isn’t for you then why point out the steam charts for those to see that are still actively playing the game. Why do you feel the need to make a statement you don’t enjoy playing, other than just leaving and coming back when you feel the game has improved enough to stimulate your enjoyment of it. I am gathering you enjoy those other games you have listed here because why? Because to me, the Snail Team is coming to gather with better communication flow with the community and better ( not perfect) core development. The Snail Team info structure is improving and the game now, I personally feel is on an upward trend. I personally don’t feel like it is an ark game but at the same time, they have not found there own uniqueness to the point where the community doesn’t find a similarity to other games. But you know that when I do leave the game I won’t come back talking about why think the game is going to fail because when I leave I would have believed I have just lost enjoyment in the environment of enjoyment they trying to create for me personally.

Edited by RainGnyu
1 person likes this