Sign in to follow this  
Bwicked

Suggestion for the Dev Kit catagory

Could the Snail team put together a video or intro on how to get started with the dev kit when it comes out? I remember when ARK came out with theirs and there was a lot of google searching on how to get everything set up and working. Having all the information in a single place would be lovely.

We have a few things planned for the release of the development kit, and I'll post more details as we get closer to the date.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RainGnyu said:

What is this Dev kit stuff and why is it so important for some people?

It lets people mod the game, add things that aren't in the game. Mods will only work on unofficial servers unless the Snail DnL team decide to make the mods an official part of the vanilla game like ARK and Wild Card did with some of their mods and mod maps.

So they have the enter workings of the game......the master code? So these mods/freelance programmers.......are like subcontractors in a biding war to see who can come up with the best product?

• Like 1

Not really. Its a good way for people to branch off and make the style of game them and their players want to see. Ark is a similar game, and some people had crazy ideas that turned into reality like replacing the beasts with pokemon!!! Lol!!

i dont want to see stuff like that, but imagine things like having more races, deeper skill trees, more armor and weapon choices and models, more beasts, etc... The possibilites are near endless.

When the deb kit comes out, youll notice a surge in the private servers. This is one reason we opened Dark and Light: Resurrection.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, DHew said:

Not really. Its a good way for people to branch off and make the style of game them and their players want to see. Ark is a similar game, and some people had crazy ideas that turned into reality like replacing the beasts with pokemon!!! Lol!!

i dont want to see stuff like that, but imagine things like having more races, deeper skill trees, more armor and weapon choices and models, more beasts, etc... The possibilites are near endless.

When the deb kit comes out, youll notice a surge in the private servers. This is one reason we opened Dark and Light: Resurrection.

As purely an official player I hope modders can bring an influx of players into the fold and help grow the playerbase.  And hopefully the dev team is smart enough to take the very best of the mods to implement. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RainGnyu said:

So they have the enter workings of the game......the master code? So these mods/freelance programmers.......are like subcontractors in a biding war to see who can come up with the best product?

They basically have all the tools and items in the game that the devs have added to the dev kit. They could build all new maps, all new things to tame, new ruins, new building materials, improve the building system (like structures plus for ARK), and probably even introduce all new items to the game. But they will only work on unofficial servers that include the mods. You'll have to download those mods to play on those servers. So just like ARK, you'll want a hard drive with some decent free space. I think my ark Mod folder is at 100gb or more now, just from all the mods I've subscribed to from playing on modded servers.

One mod that was very unique to ARK was the Extinction Core mod. It let you tame alpha versions of dinosaurs. Bosses are wild on the map, there were NPC tribes (houses) that you could defeat or tame, world events where you'd have to find some rare creature and defeat it, and so many other things. It's a mod that completely changed how you play the game. So, you can expect things like that if we are blessed with a community creative enough to do such things with the kit.