Guest Horsejoke

Dark and Light Development Update - Chaos Servers and Decay Changes

Recommended Posts

Guest Horsejoke

Greetings Adventurers! We're going to be launching a few big updates to Dark and Light in the near future, including some hot new content. For now, here's a preview of a brand new server type, Chaos servers, and a few changes to the current structure decay system.

59f103f1039d8_DarkandLightWikiBG.thumb.jpg.af5d7c69e0dabdf71abb5a60b9d6b395.jpg

Changes to Decay Timers:

PvP Servers:

Based on feedback we've seen from the community, we’re going to be removing the feature we added where any player could demolish a structure that hadn’t been visited by its owner in 3 days. We had originally added this feature to prevent structure-related abuse like pillaring and trapping, but there is a concern that the feature itself will be used to destroy non-abusive structures. We’ll keep an eye on how things progress after removing the feature and make additional changes if necessary.

We’ve also increased the time required for Iron and Manor-tier structures to decay:

Metal -  7 > 15 Days
Manor - 14 > 30 Days

PvE Servers:

PvE servers will keep the existing rules for structure decay, including the universal 3 day demolition option. Since it’s impossible to destroy other players’ structures on a PvE server, the existing decay timers will help keep servers clear of unused / abusive structures. To reiterate, the existing structure decay rules that PvE servers will be keeping are:

Straw - 3 Days
Wood - 4 Days
Stone - 6 Days
Metal - 7 Days
Manor-tier - 14 Days

Chaos Servers:

59f103f49845b_Chaos_S(1).png.7e9d9e1e87c66cd98a87f00d4f9e5b66.png

Around the end of October, we’re planning on releasing a brand new server type, Chaos servers. These servers are going to be focused entirely on the PvP experience, and we’ll be using the data and feedback we collect from players on Chaos servers to help inform PvP balancing and content development plans. One official Chaos server will be available in each of the US, EU, and AS regions initially.

Our first Chaos server will be open for a long period of time - players can freely join at any time, there’s no need for a special access code or separate download.

There are a few differences between regular PvP servers and the Chaos server type:

  • Chaos experience rates are set to 2x.
  • Item drops will tend to be higher-quality than what you’ll find on a regular server.
  • Average wild creature level will be higher than normal, and creatures can level to 30 levels higher than the current cap.
  • Structure health is set to 5% of the current values on official PvP servers (health values of placed equipment such as Workbenches, House Seals, Chests, etc. are unaffected).
  • War declaration time has been changed to 2 hours, after which the war will persist for 24 hours.


Note: Right now these servers are being introduced for testing purposes, there’s no need to download any additional files or sign up to participate. We’re going to be using the data we collect from these servers to help inform our development as we continue through Early Access. As a result, we may occasionally (once a month or so) wipe the Chaos servers to help with testing.

Follow-up and Chaos Server Rewards:

For participating on the Chaos server, we’ll be analyzing data on House wars and general House performance. After every Chaos server cycle (frequency TBD), Houses that perform extremely well will have their members rewarded with special items that they can use on any server, not just the Chaos server. Look forward to more info as we get closer to the release of this exciting new server type!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is super exciting for me ! : D ,  thank you for removing the demolish timer on PvP and also increasing the decay timer on iron and manor  ( dont know how the playera on PvE will feel ) . And the Chaos server sounds like an awesome idea!  Finally some dedicated PvP that will actually be worth playing  (special rewards for those who perform well, items that can be used on any server, cool!). I am sure there will be some issues and people will complain, but  I can't say you guys don't listen to the community  anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Structure decay is broken on unofficial PvE. We can no longer use the PVEStructureDecayPeriodMultiplyer to adjust the decay. Also, all tiers are set to 3 days instead of their own timers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i feel that the team may be making a huge mistake allowing the chaos servers to release that way. i've talked to my house and in its current state we can't see any chance for it to work as is. here is what we think:

first, mythic mounts CAN NOT exist in a server like that. first person with one will destroy every house on the server. the mythical mounts will pretty much kill any possible actually pvp, i really hope the team will make sure they are unobtainable there!

second, war timers at 24 hours is not at all reasonable. NOBODY can defend a 5% heath base for 24hr. it would be more exciting for everyone involved at a short timer, because pvp would be forced. perhaps as short as one or two hour attack time, attemptable every 24hr? as is, everyone will go to sleep and wake up to a ruined base.

lastly, 5% seems a tad low. maybe 10%?

these are just a few of my house's thoughts, the most glaring ones we have noticed. the biggest issue will absolutely be the mythic mounts. i hope the team can agree with some of this feedback.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So still, what is the point of decay timer tier for PvE since everything can be destroyed after three days.

Why is it so hard to do some thing like this:

Wood - 4 Days - Manual 3 days
Stone - 6 Days- Manual 5 days
Metal - 7 Days- Manual 6 days
Manor-tier - 14 Days - Manual 10 days

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Horsejoke
16 minutes ago, katskratches said:

i feel that the team may be making a huge mistake allowing the chaos servers to release that way. i've talked to my house and in its current state we can't see any chance for it to work as is. here is what we think:

first, mythic mounts CAN NOT exist in a server like that. first person with one will destroy every house on the server. the mythical mounts will pretty much kill any possible actually pvp, i really hope the team will make sure they are unobtainable there!

second, war timers at 24 hours is not at all reasonable. NOBODY can defend a 5% heath base for 24hr. it would be more exciting for everyone involved at a short timer, because pvp would be forced. perhaps as short as one or two hour attack time, attemptable every 24hr? as is, everyone will go to sleep and wake up to a ruined base.

lastly, 5% seems a tad low. maybe 10%?

these are just a few of my house's thoughts, the most glaring ones we have noticed. the biggest issue will absolutely be the mythic mounts. i hope the team can agree with some of this feedback.

That's part of the whole experience that we're expecting from the Chaos servers at the start, hence the whole "chaos" aspect. Because of the regular wipes, we'll be giving different groups of players / Houses an opportunity to gain control of the server.

We'll be making regular balance changes based on what we see happening on the server, so just embrace the chaos for now and make sure to share your feedback once the servers are live!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Horsejoke
51 minutes ago, Red said:

So still, what is the point of decay timer tier for PvE since everything can be destroyed after three days.

Why is it so hard to do some thing like this:

Wood - 4 Days - Manual 3 days
Stone - 6 Days- Manual 5 days
Metal - 7 Days- Manual 6 days
Manor-tier - 14 Days - Manual 10 days

The potential for structure abuse is higher on PvE servers than on PvP servers. If we see the 3 day rule being used extensively to destroy non-abusive structures, then we can look into additional changes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Horsejoke said:

The potential for structure abuse is higher on PvE servers than on PvP servers. If we see the 3 day rule being used extensively to destroy non-abusive structures, then we can look into additional changes.

Thanks for the reply, last time I check your dev said the manual destroy won't apply to big building but it seemed incorrect or still buggy. If that's the case, I'm absolutely ok with this timer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Horsejoke
6 minutes ago, Red said:

Thanks for the reply, last time I check your dev said the manual destroy won't apply to big building but it seemed incorrect or still buggy. If that's the case, I'm absolutely ok with this timer. 

That's something I definitely have to clear up - something must have gotten lost in translation on that post. It was an idea that our dev team had, to separate rules for large, "legitimate" structures vs. smaller ones that were obviously meant for abuse or left over from trapping a creature.

However, we do have plans to add a system that will prevent the decay timer from ticking down at all as long as you have an active House Seal nearby. There's still a lot of work that has to be done on that, so we might not see it for a few patches, but it's in the works. Really sorry for the miscommunication there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Horsejoke said:

The potential for structure abuse is higher on PvE servers than on PvP servers. If we see the 3 day rule being used extensively to destroy non-abusive structures, then we can look into additional changes.

Again, I strongly disagree with this decision, the only acceptable explanation is  technical difficulty.

For example, no one in the right mind would use manor part for abusive. And give all building tier the same manual demolition time take away the advantage/reward for building better base, in fact people just target the higher tier building since they  tend to have better loot.

Edit: My server is OC-Wyrmslayer 3, since the first time the manual demolition timer was introduced, there's a base in my server was destroyed to get loot because the owner didn't know about the new timer.

Edited by Red

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Horsejoke said:

That's part of the whole experience that we're expecting from the Chaos servers at the start, hence the whole "chaos" aspect. Because of the regular wipes, we'll be giving different groups of players / Houses an opportunity to gain control of the server.

We'll be making regular balance changes based on what we see happening on the server, so just embrace the chaos for now and make sure to share your feedback once the servers are live!

really disappointed that you feel that way. the idea itself seems exciting, but i can't see many people enjoying playing on a mount v building server. id like to see an environment where player v player shines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Horsejoke said:

That's something I definitely have to clear up - something must have gotten lost in translation on that post. It was an idea that our dev team had, to separate rules for large, "legitimate" structures vs. smaller ones that were obviously meant for abuse or left over from trapping a creature.

However, we do have plans to add a system that will prevent the decay timer from ticking down at all as long as you have an active House Seal nearby. There's still a lot of work that has to be done on that, so we might not see it for a few patches, but it's in the works. Really sorry for the miscommunication there!

This is a much better idea so it will neat to see it implemented.  There's a guy on our official server who had a fairly extensive house being constructed with stone/wood and it was manually demolished because he was a jerk in chat.  He was gone 3.5 days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Horsejoke said:

PvE Servers:

PvE servers will keep the existing rules for structure decay, including the universal 3 day demolition option. Since it’s impossible to destroy other players’ structures on a PvE server, the existing decay timers will help keep servers clear of unused / abusive structures. To reiterate, the existing structure decay rules that PvE servers will be keeping are:

Straw - 3 Days
Wood - 4 Days
Stone - 6 Days
Metal - 7 Days
Manor-tier - 14 Days

The universal 3 day demolition timer is a real plague as long as it apply on every structures. Some people on PvE just take advantage of this to plunder non-abandoned bases..

How hard is it to apply this 3 day manual demolition timer only to structures that are not linked to a given amount of other structures ?!

Decay timers are one of the main reason for the drastic reduction in the number of active players on DnL. Many players are waiting for important changes regarding them to restart playing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Horsejoke said:

The potential for structure abuse is higher on PvE servers than on PvP servers. If we see the 3 day rule being used extensively to destroy non-abusive structures, then we can look into additional changes.

yea just let me know when I can book my first vacation since dnl release. or if I can visit family during xmas. ^^ prolly not this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Horsejoke said:

That's something I definitely have to clear up - something must have gotten lost in translation on that post. It was an idea that our dev team had, to separate rules for large, "legitimate" structures vs. smaller ones that were obviously meant for abuse or left over from trapping a creature.

However, we do have plans to add a system that will prevent the decay timer from ticking down at all as long as you have an active House Seal nearby. There's still a lot of work that has to be done on that, so we might not see it for a few patches, but it's in the works. Really sorry for the miscommunication there!

Does that mean on PvE servers, at some point "legitimate" structures will no longer have the 3 day demolish timer? I have a manor structure base on a PvE server (that I'll admit I'm not super active on, but it's by no means abandoned) and I'd really like to not have to log in every 3 days to prevent someone from walking up and demolishing my entire base.

Also, lots of props on the idea with the active house seal. Definitely a step in the right direction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Horsejoke
10 hours ago, blood flowers said:

Does that mean on PvE servers, at some point "legitimate" structures will no longer have the 3 day demolish timer? I have a manor structure base on a PvE server (that I'll admit I'm not super active on, but it's by no means abandoned) and I'd really like to not have to log in every 3 days to prevent someone from walking up and demolishing my entire base.

Also, lots of props on the idea with the active house seal. Definitely a step in the right direction.

It's less likely that we'll have a system in place that can differentiate between "legitimate" and abusive structures, and more likely that we'll just go with the House Seal idea, since it allows a base of pretty much any size to be tagged as "legitimate" by the owner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Horsejoke
20 hours ago, katskratches said:

really disappointed that you feel that way. the idea itself seems exciting, but i can't see many people enjoying playing on a mount v building server. id like to see an environment where player v player shines.

Maybe I didn't communicate our intentions with the server very well. We're not going to be fully content with PvP as it existed before and as it currently exists on live servers. We're using these servers to get an idea of how PvP will play out, and then make changes to make it more varied and interesting (subjective terms, of course, but the idea is that we want at least a few viable PvP strategies, not just 'get the biggest creature and win').

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now